Monday, August 14, 2006

Ngamba Chimps



I made it to and from the Ngamba Chimpanzee Sanctuary all on my own. I made a few mistakes along the way, but nothing major and I am back safe at Ziwa. The Chimp trip was different than I thought it would be. We headed out on a traditional boat for the 90 minute trip to the island (it is in Lake Victoria). My reservation had me tagging along with a group of 21 people touring together. I sat at the front and since we were going against the current got completely drenched. The island was beautiful and so was the weather. We had lunch, played some volleyball, and then settled in for the tour. It began with a presentation where we were informed all the chimps here were orphaned and in some condition other than the wild. They were brought here to live out the remainder of their lives. The females cannot concieve, they are all habituated to human touch, and come in at night to sleep in enclosures. They said this was to ensure the animals aren't sick or injured. Their meals are supplementedc four times a day, twice in th observation area. This is where we went and when the food was thrown over the electric fence separating us, they just appeared. Out of the forests they came running and chanting and hooting and throwing sticks. They calmed down, ate, mated, fought, and went back into the forest. It was all very weird and amazing and interesting at the same time.
Two more days here for me! Love and miss you all.

2 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, Blogger Team Houston said...

Just look at those photos.~M

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Cute monkey!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home