Thursday, August 10, 2006

Rhino Monitoring



Rhino monitoring is different than I expected, but still very neat. I meet up with the rangers around 7:30 and we call on the radio to see where the rhinos have spent the night. Once we have a confirmed location they set out on foot (if it is far I get a ride on a boda boda because I slow them down a bit). From then on we follow them around and observe their behaviour. The rangers are having fun learning all about American culture and the tidbits of rhino knowledge I have. We also talk to the visitors when they visit. (They park a car and then walk to where we are because the rhinos are very skittish around cars).

The rangers I am with are Charles and Francis. They go through about 18 months of training, but it is split into 6 month segments. Charles carries a sub-machine gun and is licensed to have it. (Private citizens cannot own guns in Uganda). They are very funny and friendly and we are all getting along nicely.

The rhinos have become fairly accustomed to our presence. Taleo is the dominant male. He is very big and has the longest horn as well. He is always the last to get anywhere, but the first to be up and eating. Moja is the other male and subordinate. His name means one is swahili since he was the first captured. Bella is the female we hope is pregnant. She is very protective of Kori and can be hot-headed. Kori is the smallest and female. She is about 3 1/2. It has been great wandering the bush land for 10 hours a day and no injuries to report! (I know you are all surprised by that!)

This weekend I'm headed to Ngamba Chimp Reserve and I'll try to keep everyone updated! Love and miss you all

12 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, Blogger Mom said...

Hey Sweetie....Sounds like things are going well. Sorry about the camera damage hope it all works out. Live and learn I guess...I love this picture of Taleo (I assume since he's the dominant one he had you take his picture instead of one of the subordinate ones...) glad to hear there is a gun in tow and I hope you are sticking close to Charles. Looking forward to a pedicure and some Old Spaghetti Factory when you get home! I love you! MOM

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Mick & Theresa said...

Kimbo,
Keep up the good work. One week left to go. We are all excited that you will be home soon and can't wait to see you. But don't get down, finish strong. You have come so far already and we are all very proud of you. This is the home stretch! Keep your head up! We love you.

Mick & Theresa

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Becca said...

Kimi,
It's so good to hear from you again. I'm so happy that this trip is coming around, and becoming a wonderful experience for you. What an amazing adventure you've gotten to experience. I can't wait to hear all the extra stories you haven't had time to tell on-line, and see all the beautiful pictures. The girls are missing you very much! See you very soon!
Love,
All of us!

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Christopher said...

Great picture Kimi! Make sure you write down the stories so you don't forget!

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Team Houston said...

Hum...wondering about the machine gun??? Can't wait to find out more. Thank you for the blog...enjoy reading it...Hope you continue to have a blast! Michele

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Arin said...

Wandering around in the bush for 10 hours and no injuries; Tthat is a modern day miracle. Glad to hear things are going well. I am looking for to seeing all the pictures when you get home.

 
At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kimi: I love your blog...I get up very day and sign on to see what has been added. You are an amazing young lady. Love you....stay safe. GG

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kimi: Sorry that I had to cut short the IM session this morning and I can not wait to hear more about the Rhinos mating rituals. Glad to hear that you are getting a chance to hang with the chimps. Have fun and travel safe. Dad

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Emily said...

That picture of the rhino close up is AWESOME!

I can't wait to hear all about it when you get home.

I stole you man last night...we went to the fair with some other friends...he's all excited about ridin his bike.

We miss ya,
Em

 
At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kimi, sounds like things are progressing well. Lots of walking/hiking. you must be keeping in shape pretty well. The tastes of your photography are tantalizing. Can't wait to see the rest. Wonderful work. Great example of risk taking, and such sights you have seen! Amazing. I enjoy reading your blog and try to handle the disappointment when there is no new posting. Live, Love, Laugh. See you soon. -- Aunt Peg

 
At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Grampy said...

Hi Kimi
Grandma Ruth and I have ben on vacation in MA,NH,VT and NY went to a wedding,took a trip to Niagara Falls and had a great visit with my brothers and sisters. Unfortunately I didn't have any real access to a computer so I wasn't able to keep up with your adventure but I am home now and all caught up. It sounds as thought the excitement level is still running high. Enjoy the few days that you have left and keep that accident rercord clean. Just like everyone else we Loveya and are anxious for your return to us

 
At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Kimi
It's Grampy again. Tell me what is a boda boda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home